Gmail is a cloud-based email client and a lot of people worldwide use it for managing their emails. But on the other hand, CSV i.e. Comma Separated Value file format stores information in a tabular spreadsheet. So, here we have a blog that will be helpful for Gmail users who want to save their emails to CSV file format. You can try the manual method to export Gmail emails to CSV or straightaway use the Gmail Backup Tool for hassle-free migration.
Reasons for Moving Gmail Emails to CSV
Before we move on to the methods for Gmail to CSV migration, you can check out some of the reasons why Gmail users are doing so.
- You can open CSV files in Excel and spreadsheets as it is a highly compatible file format.
- CSV files can be viewed offline whereas an internet connection is needed to access Gmail emails.
- CSV can act as a backup for your Gmail emails when you run out of space on Gmail. Gmail only provides a free space of 15 GBs.
- You can easily share CSV files with various computer systems without any hassle.
Proven Ways to Transfer Gmail Emails to CSV with Attachments
You can have a look at the three tried and tested methods that will help you to export Gmail Emails to CSV. The manual method is quite lengthy, so you can follow the Automated Solution first. But we will discuss the manual method as well after describing the automated method.
Move Gmail Emails to CSV using Gmail Backup Tool
In just 5 simple steps you can move all emails from Gmail to CSV without any data loss:-
- Launch the Gmail Backup Tool and log in through your Gmail Credentials.
- Choose the Gmail option and mark the emails that you want to export to CSV.
- Click on Next and choose the Saving option as CSV.
- Finally, define the location and click on the Convert Button.
All your Gmail emails will be moved to the CSV file. This software even helps you to export Gmail emails to PDF.
Export Gmail Emails to CSV through Outlook
You have seen that how easy it is to move Gmail emails using the Automated Tool. But if you want to have a cost-effective solution then you can implement the following steps.
Step 1: Enable IMAP
Firstly you will have to enable IMAP in Gmail and for doing so, you can implement the steps given below:-
- Open Gmail and Sign In to your Gmail Account.
- Then click on the Gear Icon which is the Settings Icon and click on the See All Settings option.
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Finally, Tick the Enable IMAP option and click on the Save Changes icon.
Your Gmail IMAP will be enabled.
Step 2: Save Gmail emails as CSV
- Launch MS Outlook and go to the File tab.
- Click on the Open & Export tab and select the Import/Export option.
- Now you can see the Import/Export wizard in which you will have to choose the Export to a file option.
- Click on the Next button to continue and choose the Comma Separated Values option. Click on Next to Continue.
- Now select the Inbox folder having emails or any folder from the mailbox.
- Click the Next button and Browse the location to save the CSV file.
- Then click on Next and the CSV file will be saved at your desired location.
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
You can view the CSV file on the location with the Inbox Properties like attachments, subject, message body, Receiver, Sender, To, etc.
Transfer Emails from Gmail to CSV using Mozilla Thunderbird
You can even use the Mozilla Thunderbird application to export Gmail emails to CSV. Here are some simple steps that you will have to implement for the Gmail to CSV migration.
Step 1: Configure Gmail to Thunderbird through IMAP
Follow the steps given below to configure Gmail using IMAP.
- Launch Thunderbird and go to the Tool Tab.
- Then click on the Account Settings option.
- Tick the Add Mail Account option under the Account Actions option.
- Then click on Continue and provide your Name and Gmail Address.
- Open the Drop-down menu and Choose IMAP
- Then select the Manual configuration option and Fill out the details as given below. For setting up an Existing Email Account.
- Your Name: Name of Gmail account
- Email Address: Gmail Email Address
- Password: Gmail password
- Incoming (IMAP) Server Host Name: gmail.com
- Incoming Port: 993
- Outgoing (SMTP) Server Host Name: gmail.com
- Outgoing Port: 465
- After providing the above details, click on Done.
Your Gmail account will get configured with Thunderbird and now you can easily download all Gmail Emails to CSV by implementing step 2 given below.
Step 2: Export Gmail Emails to Thunderbird
- Go to the Tools option and click on Adds-Ons.
- Then search for the Import/Export NZ Tools using the search box.
- Click on Add to Thunderbird option and a pop notification appears, click on Add.
- Then Restart the Thunderbird application.
- Make Right-click on any folder and choose the Import/Export NZ option.
- Now click on the Export all messages in the folder option and choose the Spreadsheet (CSV) option.
- Now all your Gmail emails will be exported to the CSV File.
You can easily move or share the CSV file with anyone after saving it onto your system.
You have seen that there is a shortcut to export Gmail Emails to CSV via Gmail Backup Tool. So, if you want an instant solution then you can go with this tool. You will have to Launch Gmail Backup Tool>Login via Gmail Credentials>Mark Emails to be Exported>Choose Saving Option As CSV>Define Location and Export Gmail Emails. On the other hand, you can make use of the Outlook or Thunderbird application for exporting emails. The ball is in your court and you will have to choose the way.
You May Also Read: Backup Gmail Emails to Hard Drive