Collaborative document editing has become an integral part of our personal and professional lives in today’s digital age. Google Docs has become a popular choice for creating and editing documents online. However, there may be instances when you need to convert your Google Docs files to Microsoft Word format, especially if you’re sharing documents with others who primarily use Word. This guide will walk you through converting Google Docs to Word effortlessly.
Google Docs and Microsoft Word are two of the most popular word processing tools available, but they have some differences on the basis of features, accessibility, collaboration, and cost. As we know, Google Docs is a cloud-based platform accessible through a web browser, making it available on virtually any device with internet access. On the other hand, MS Word is also a web-based version (Word Online) and mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Need to Save Google Docs as Word
Google Docs, with its user-friendly interface and powerful collaborative features, has become a staple for document creation and editing. However, there are compelling reasons why you might find yourself needing to convert Google Docs to Microsoft Word. Let’s explore these needs in detail.
- The most apparent reason for converting Google Docs to MS Word is compatibility. Microsoft Word remains the dominant word-processing software globally.
- Google Docs offers robust formatting and editing capabilities, but advanced features and intricate editing may not translate perfectly in Word.
- Google Docs is primarily a cloud-based tool, and while it does offer an offline mode, it may not always be as seamless or reliable as using locally installed software like Microsoft Word.
- Certain industries or academic institutions may have specific guidelines or requirements for document submission, often stipulating Microsoft Word utilization.
- Collaborating with others who primarily use Microsoft Word can be challenging when working in Google Docs due to potential compatibility issues.
- Some users prefer the additional security features offered by Microsoft Word, such as password protection and document encryption.
Now, the question arises of how to save a Google Doc as a Word doc. We’ll discuss about the same in the next section.
How to Convert Google Docs to Word?
If you have a document in Google Docs that you want to turn into a Word file, it’s quite simple. But please keep in mind that sometimes the way your file looks might change a little during the switch.
- First, Open your Google Document in the upper left corner, you’ll see the word “File” just below your document’s name. Click on it.
- Put your cursor over “Download >.”
- Then, opt for the “Microsoft Word (.docx)” option from the drop-down list. Your document will start downloading.
- Once it’s downloaded, you can open it in Word.
That’s it! You’ve turned your Google Docs document into a Word file. We are advising the user to be aware that, occasionally, when converting a Google Docs document to a Word file, there could be slight differences in how it appears. Moreover, if you’ve docs files in bulk, you can move your files to Word. Using the last method.
Saving Google Docs as Word Through Google Takeout
- First, log in to your Gmail account—the one with the documents you want to convert.
- Now, choose the option that says “select all” or “deselect all” as needed.
- Look for the checkbox that mentions “Google Drive” and click on it. Then, move on to the next step.
- After that, you’ll see options for how you want your converted documents delivered, how often, and where you want them to go.
- Moving ahead, click the button that says “export” to start the conversion process.
- After that, all you have to do is wait for an email. It will have a link in it that you can click to download your converted Google Docs as Word files.
- Once you’ve clicked that link, save your Word documents to your computer.
- Finally, open the downloaded zip file. You’ll find your Word documents inside.
That’s it! You’ve successfully converted your Google Docs to Word files, and they’re ready for you to use.
Read More: Convert CSV File to PDF
Save Google Docs to Word in Bulk
With the help of the Gmail Backup Tool, you can effortlessly save your all Google Docs to Word. Moreover, it maintains data integrity and preserves hierarchical folders without data loss. You just need to go through the below section to know the steps of this versatile software.
Steps to Convert Google Docs to Word
- Download and Run the Gmail Backup Tool on your local system.
- After that, choose the Google Workspace (Backup Mails, Contacts, Calendars, Contacts) option to move further.
- On the Next Window, Enter your Email ID, and click on Sign In. It will redirect you to the default browser to make the sign-in process complete. If you have already logged in with your Gmail account in the browser, it will detect your account automatically.
- In the next pop-up, proceed by selecting everything with ‘Select All’ and then click ‘Continue.’
- Then, Select the Google Drive option only from the applications.
- After that set the destination path to save files in the desired folder.
- It will download your files automatically.
NOTE: It will download all Google Drive Sheets and all Google Docs files, you have to separate them after downloading complete.
By following these steps, you can seamlessly convert all Google Docs to Word. Ensures compatibility with users who rely on Microsoft Word for their document editing needs. Such type of flexibility empowers you to work with a wide range of collaborators and share your content without compatibility issues.