Key Take Away
- ➤ Introduction to Microsoft OneDrive.
- ➤ The necessity to migrate OneDrive to a new tenant.
- ➤ 3 Free Ways to Migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business.
- ➤ Instant & Secure way for OneDrive Migration: Using OneDrive Backup Tool.
Microsoft OneDrive Backup Tool is the best alternative to migrate or back up your OneDrive files.
Synopsis: In the world of file storage and backups, OneDrive undoubtedly emerges as one of the most popular apps for business purposes. However, employee turnover and internal transitions are very common in workplaces. It causes redundant expenses over an extra OneDrive storage. In this article, you will explore the top 3 free ways to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business. Also, it offers a fast & reliable OneDrive Backup Tool, which is an instant solution to accomplish this task.
Introduction to Microsoft OneDrive
In August 2007, Microsoft launched its cloud storage system that enables people to manage, share, and synchronize their data in the cloud. In its 15 years of timeline, OneDrive evolved into the core system of empowering businesses to have secure collaboration & productivity. It has something for everybody that delivers a coherent and consistent file management experience.
You can easily access, edit, and share your files on all your devices. Also, it protects your data and ensures secure collaboration and productivity with ransomware protection. OneDrive is one of the best file hosting services that let us stay connected and allows us to collaborate in real-time with other Microsoft productivity apps.
Microsoft OneDrive offers numerous functionalities that help to boost your business productivity. At the same time, it is also necessary to know the factors that stimulate a need to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business.
The Necessity to Migrate OneDrive to a New Tenant
Following are some main reasons why an organization requires to perform OneDrive migration from one tenant to another.
- Sometimes, the current account of an employee is not working properly. In that case, it is required to migrate OneDrive data to a new account for smooth functioning.
- Internal transition or turnover of an employee is another reason to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business. It will help to make a better data migration strategy which ultimately reduces the surplus expenses over the extra OneDrive account.
- Users sometimes want to transfer files from their personal drive to a professional OneDrive. It helps them to manage the limited space available in their personal OneDrive accounts.
- It also helps to retain and delete the information available in a particular OneDrive account.
These are some of the factors that provoke an organization to opt for OneDrive migration from one tenant to another.
3 Free Ways to Migrate Data From OneDrive to OneDrive for Business
Now, the question arises, how do you transfer files between OneDrive accounts for business? Well, this comprehensive guide will help you to explore 3 free ways to accomplish this task.
- Migrate OneDrive to New Tenant Using Microsoft 365 Admin Center.
- Transfer Files Between OneDrive Accounts via Power Automate.
- Move OneDrive Files to Another Account by Sharing Files.
Method 1: Migrate OneDrive to New Tenant Using Microsoft 365 Admin Center
This method enables you to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive using Microsoft 365 admin privileges. You can log in to your Office 365 account as an administrator. After that, perform the following steps to transfer files between the OneDrive account.
- Click on the Admin option to open the Microsoft 365 admin center.
- Then, navigate to the Users section and select the Active Users option.
- It shows the list of all the active users of your account. Find the user (whose data you want to migrate) and click on the username.
- An account panel of the user opens in the right corner. Select OneDrive and click on the “create link to files” option.
- It will generate a link to access this particular user’s files.
- Select the files you want to migrate and click on the Download menu.
- Finally, a Zip file is downloaded to your system.
- In the end, upload this Zip file to the destination OneDrive.
Method 2: Transfer Files Between OneDrive Accounts via Power Automate
Microsoft Power Automate template is developed by Microsoft that allows users to copy and move OneDrive files to another account. You can go to its official website and then execute the following steps.
- Click on the Try it Now button.
- Enter the credentials to sign in. Now, tap on the 3 dots and select Add new Connection to add another OneDrive account. Click on the Continue button.
- Here, from the first account, choose the source folder. Then, select the destination folder on your second account.
“If you select the Root option, it will migrate all the data from one tenant to another. To select the particular files, click on the icon behind Root.”
- Lastly, test the flow connection by uploading the single file from your first account to another OneDrive account. If you find the file in your destination account, that means you have successfully established the connection.
- Continue the process for all the files that you want to migrate from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business.
Method 3: Move OneDrive Files to Another Account by Sharing Files
This method allows you to transfer OneDrive files to another account by sharing the link of a particular folder. To accomplish it, you can follow the given step:
- Sign in to your OneDrive account. Now, select the file or folder and right-click to hit on the Share option.
- After that, you can modify the access setting of the particular link. Then, provide the email address and the message you want to send.
- Lastly, click on the Send button. It will deliver to the recipient, who can directly open and download the shared folder on his pc or laptop.
Bonus Tip: Instant & Secure way for OneDrive Migration Using OneDrive Backup Tool
Your organization may require direct secure ways for OneDrive migration from one tenant to another. This section introduces an instant solution to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business. Besides the above free methods, this approach consists of the best OneDrive Backup Tool that offers 3 different functionalities.
- A trusted solution to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive.
- Offers a safe option to backup OneDrive files locally.
- Easily allows users to move OneDrive files to Google Drive.
It is a one-stop solution that will enable you to back up and migrate all the OneDrive data, including Audio, Video, Files, DOC, DOCX, PDF, etc. It facilitates users to transfer OneDrive files To Google drive if users want back up their files on Google drive.
Additionally, it has the Allow Duplicate Files option, which helps in migrating the files with a common name that are stored in a different folder. You can easily analyze and experience its tremendous performance using its free demo version.
While OneDrive can be a great tool for collaboration, you may run into a situation where you need to migrate data from OneDrive to OneDrive for business. In this article, we have covered the top 3 free ways to perform this task. These methods will help you to perform the OneDrive migration from one tenant to another. However, there is no assurity that your file data will be safe. In this respect, we have also mentioned an instant and secure OneDrive Backup Tool, which allows you to transfer OneDrive files to another account easily.