Although both OneDrive and Google Drive offer their users a vast, comprehensive, and secure range of features. But a few years ago, Microsoft modified its guidelines and restricted the amount of storage available to users, limiting it to 5 GB. On the other hand, Google maintains its position and continues to grant users access to 15GB of cloud storage. Due to this, many users want to transfer OneDrive files to Google Drive.
So, in this write-up, we will learn some different and proven methods to move OneDrive files to Google Drive. But before that, we’ll have to understand why users seek to move their data. Let us elaborate on each topic in detail.
Reasons to Shift from OneDrive Files to Google Drive
Being an IT user, you will always find reasons for migration. In this case, this logic applies, and the advantages of OneDrive over Google Drive are listed below.
- Storage is the primary factor, as Google Drive offers three times as much space as OneDrive.
- Google Drive collaborates with its applications and third-party apps.
- OneDrive has fewer security features than G Drive.
- OneDrive has a complex interface, while Google Drive is easily manageable.
- In OneDrive, you need to upload data, whatever you want to save for future reference. However, Google Drive automatically saves the data.
These are some reasons users seek to transfer OneDrive files to Google Drive. In the next section, we will learn techniques to drift our data from OneDrive to Google Drive.
Methods to Transfer OneDrive Files to Google Drive
There are some easy and approved techniques that you can use for migration. Use whichever of the following methods best suits your needs from those listed below.
Method 1: Migrate OneDrive to Google Drive by Downloading and Uploading
This is one of the most accessible techniques that you can use for migration tasks. This method can be accomplished in two stages.
- Download data from OneDrive.
- Upload data to Google Drive.
The steps to take for each stage to transfer OneDrive data to Google Drive are listed below.
Stage 1: Download data from OneDrive.
- Open OneDrive and enter the Office 365 ID and password.
- Select the message that you want to download.
- Right-click on that message and choose the Download option.
- After that, the zip file containing the selected message or folder will be created.
- Unzip that file and Save it to the location.
This stage also allows you to easily backup OneDrive files to external hard drive. Now, move to the next stage to transfer OneDrive files to Google Drive.
Stage 2: Upload Data to Google Drive
- Go to Google Drive.
- Select the New option.
- Choose the File Upload option.
- Select the file that you’ve downloaded in the above stage.
Note: Make sure to unzip the file.
- Finally, you have successfully migrated OneDrive files to Google Drive.
Using the above method, you can easily access your OneDrive in Google Drive. However, it has been observed that this process may take a lot of time depending on the data size. Often it does not support the file formats and sometimes the files will be unable to access after successful migration. In this case, we strongly suggest you use any professional OneDrive Backup Tool for the successful and smooth shift of your OneDrive files/folder to G Drive.
Method 2: Transfer OneDrive files to Google Drive With Automated Technique
With the Microsoft OneDrive Backup Tool, you can easily migrate your OneDrive data, including PDFs, video, audio, files, etc., to Google Drive. It also allows you to One Drive Tenant to Tenant migration. Additionally, you can also save your OneDrive data locally at your convenience. You can also use the advanced features of the tool.
Advanced Features of the OneDrive Backup Software
- You can easily migrate OneDrive data to Google Drive.
- You can also keep a backup of your OneDrive account locally.
- It allows you to migrate from personal to personal, OneDrive personal to business, and business to personal OneDrive accounts.
- It allows you to migrate data From OneDrive to OneDrive for business.
- You can keep a backup of OneDrive files in several file folders, including PDF, JPG, PNG, and others.
These are some advanced features of the utility. Now, learn the steps that you can use to run this utility.
Steps to copy from OneDrive to Google Drive
- Download and install the OneDrive Backup Tool.
- Select the Source from OneDrive and verify it.
- After that, select the OneDrive files or folders that you want to migrate.
- Next, you can also apply the Select extension of file(s) filter to add particular file extensions for migration.
- Following, manage the utility’s features as per your needs.
- Now, select the destination as Google Drive for your OneDrive file.
- Assign a name to your selected file.
- Finally, your OneDrive files will move to your Google Drive.
In this article, we have learned some methods that can help us transfer OneDrive files to Google Drive. Although a manual approach can also be used for this migration, this migration has some inconsistencies. However, the OneDrive Backup Tool can ease your migration and also allows you to save your OneDrive data locally. so that you can keep a safe backup for your future reference.