Summary: Nowadays, it is observed that most Gmail users want to switch to the Microsoft 365 cloud-based environment. This popular demand generates the need to explain detailed solutions so that they can securely migrate Gmail to Office 365 admin center. Here, you will get a DIY approach along with an amazing Gmail Backup Software to perform this task. In the end, this article will help you to opt for the best approach that fulfils your requirements.
Working in a reality of hybrid environments, workplaces also adapt the advancement to increase their efficiency, productivity, and connectivity. In this respect, many organizations drop the conventional free Gmail service and opt for the powerful cloud-based environment to boost productivity.
Gmail has already attracted millions of users worldwide through its fast and secure email service. However, Office 365 overpowers its popularity by offering productivity suites that complement each other to enhance business productivity. Additionally, some other benefits of Office 365 induce the demand to migrate Gmail to Office 365 admin center.
Why do Users Want to Transfer Gmail to Office 365?
Before diving into the different solutions to migrate from Gmail to O365. First, we need to understand the reason behind this migration. Sometimes, Gmail is not receiving emails due to some reasons which require frequent troubleshooting. In this particular section, you will get an effective comparison between Gmail and Office 365 based on different variables.
|Purpose/Objective||Gmail is a specific Google product that is designed to send, receive, and manage email.||Microsoft’s productivity suite that offers tools like Word, Exchange, Excel, SharePoint, Teams, etc.|
|Administrative Control||User has full control in a self-contained environment.||Administrative control over all the user mailboxes in it.|
|Storage Capacity||Free Gmail account provides access to up to 15 GB of storage.||The Basic business plan offers 1TB of cloud storage.|
|Application Accessibility||Basic Google applications, including documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.||The Basic plan offers access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook, Exchange, OneDrive, etc.|
|Shared Access||Manual Steps involved for sharing the files created by using Google’s apps.||Users within the same admin account can quickly share and work on documents simultaneously.|
After comparing Gmail and Office 365, it is clear that Office 365 is a robust utility for business enterprises. Now, let’s go through the different approaches to migrate emails from Gmail to Office 365.
Also Read: Export Gmail Emails to PST
DIY Approach to Migrate Gmail to Office 365
This approach is the manual way to transfer Gmail to Office 365 using the Outlook application. However, before initiating this DIY approach, you need to fulfil the following conditions.
- Install the Outlook desktop application.
- You must have your Microsoft 365 user id and password.
- Configure your Office 365 admin account with the Outlook application.
After that, you need to prepare your Gmail account so that you can add Gmail to Outlook. The basic requirement is to enable IMAP for your Gmail account. In the next section, you will get the detailed procedure to prepare your Gmail account for this migration.
Step 1: Enable IMAP to Prepare Gmail for Gmail to Office 365 Migration
To prepare your Gmail account, perform the following steps that help you to enable IMAP for your Gmail account.
- Go to Gmail and Sign in to your account using the correct credentials.
- Now, click on the Settings gear icon to select the See all Settings option.
- Choose the Forwarding and POP/IMAP option from the Settings menu.
- After that, navigate to the IMAP access and click on Enable IMAP to access Gmail from Outlook.
- In the end, scroll down and click on Save Changes to proceed further.
Step 2: Export Gmail emails to your Desktop
After enabling the IMAP setting, you can configure your Gmail account to MS Outlook application. Now, you can save a copy of your Gmail emails on your system so that you can import/migrate Gmail to Office 365 account.
- Go to the File menu to select Open & Export. Now, click on the Import/Export option.
- Choose Export to a file from the Import and Export Wizard and click on the Next button.
- Then, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and tap on Next to proceed ahead.
- From the next panel, select your Gmail account, check on the Include Subfolder option and proceed ahead.
- Choose the Browse option to define the file location on your system. Click on the Finish button.
- In the end, it shows a pop-up that allows you to set a password for this PST file.
However, you can also backup Gmail emails to hard drive in various other formats, including PDF, MBOX, EML, CSV, etc.
Step 3: Migrate Gmail to Office 365 Using Import & Export Wizard
After exporting your Gmail emails to PST, you can again open the Outlook application and perform the following steps to import Gmail to Office 365 mailbox.
- Navigate to the top menu bar and select File > Open & Export > Import/Export to open Import and Export Wizard.
- In this wizard, select the option to Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Specify Outlook Data File (.pst) option and proceed to the Next step.
- Browse the previously exported PST file from your system and click on the Next button to define the Office 365 mailbox account.
- In this wizard, specify the Office 365 account where you want to import Gmail emails. Click on the Finish button to migrate Gmail to Office 365 mailbox.
- Now, Outlook starts copying your data from the .pst file to your Office 365 account. It may take some time, depending on the amount of your data.
It is clearly defined that the DIY approach is a lengthy task and requires basic knowledge of the Microsoft Outlook interface. Additionally, there is a huge risk to data security if you fail to execute the steps correctly. In some cases, users find it a lengthy and time-consuming process that generates the need to opt for a fast and reliable solution to migrate Gmail to Office 365.
Direct Approach to Migrate From Gmail to O365
This approach consists of fast and reliable Gmail Backup Software. It is a trustworthy utility that allows users to back up the entire Gmail data, including Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar, Contact, and Photos. According to experts, it is a proven fact that this advanced Gmail Backup Software is a smart way to ensure high data integrity while performing Gmail to Office 365 migration.
This utility has some additional functionalities that make it the first choice of users to migrate Gmail to Office 365, Yahoo, Thunderbird, AOL, iCloud, and other IMAP-supported email clients.
Why Should You Choose Gmail Backup Software to Migrate Gmail to Office 365?
Every user wants an effective and reliable utility that can ensure high data security while performing the backup or migration process. In this respect, this Gmail Backup Software offers some additional functionalities that make it one of the best software to back up Gmail data.
- It is a one-stop solution to back up Google Drive, Contact, Calendar, and Photos locally on your system.
- Users can easily transfer emails from Gmail to Gmail, Yahoo, Office 365, Thunderbird, iCloud, etc.
- Modern-day utility that ensures high data integrity while exporting Gmail emails to PDF, PST, CSV, MBOX, HTML, EML, MSG, etc.
- Additionally, its latest algorithm makes it compatible with all the latest versions of Windows OS, including Windows 11.
One of the most common queries that we receive from clients is how to migrate Gmail to Office 365 Admin account. So we have decided to put together this blog post to help you learn more about the process. This way, you can feel more confident and prepared to set up your migration with the help of our trending Gmail Backup Software. It constantly delivers the best Gmail backup experience to its users. To know more, you can try its free trial version, which will allow you to analyze its advanced functionalities.
FAQ 1: How to migrate Gmail to Office 365 step by step?
1. Download and Install Gmail Backup Software.
2. Now, run it as an administrator.
3. Enter the username and third-party app password of your Gmail account.
4. Then, click on the Sign in with Google button.
5. In this wizard, select the Gmail option.
6. It will show a tree structure of your mailbox items.
7. Check the folders you want to migrate and click on the Next button.
8. Here, select Office 365 from the dropdown menu of the Save/Backup/Migrate As option.
9. Now, enter the username and password of your Office 365 account.
10. In the end, click Sign In to initiate the migration process.
FAQ 2: Can you sync Gmail with Office 365?
FAQ 3: How do I set up Gmail IMAP in Outlook 2016?
1. Open Outlook and select the File menu.
2. Now, click on the Add Account option.
3. Here, enter your Gmail id and click on the Advanced options.
4. Check the Let me set up my account manually option, then click on Connect.
5. In the Advanced setup wizard, select IMAP.
6. After that, enter your Gmail username and password to allow access to Outlook.
7. Once the authentication is completed, you can access your Gmail account in Outlook 2016.