Hotmail may be fading away, but millions of users still use the Hotmail email service. Hotmail was the pioneer in providing free email services. It is still a popular service for people who want a separate email address for personal and professional use. However, the popularity of Gmail overpowers its importance therefore many Hotmail users are searching for an efficient solution to move emails from Hotmail to Gmail.
Gmail is a web-based email service that aims to provide an intuitive, efficient, and valuable user experience. It was created by Google in 2004 and has grown to become the world’s most popular email service. It is a free, advertising-supported email service with 15 GB of storage space per user. Additionally, it includes some useful features such as spam filtering and spell checking, and it can send large files.
Apart from this, there are several other advantages associated with the most trusted email client. These benefits instigate the demand to add Hotmail account to Gmail app. Fortunately, this article will take you through the two best approaches that will help you to export emails from Hotmail to Gmail account.
DIY Approach to Add Hotmail Account to Gmail
Microsoft is currently under scrutiny for storing private information in a manner that is vulnerable to breaches. Therefore, users prefer to backup Hotmail emails to hard drive that secures their crucial data. The availability of Post Office Protocol (i.e., POP) makes it easier to forward Hotmail to Gmail account. You need to ensure that POP3 access is enabled for both Hotmail and Gmail accounts. After that, gather the following information to execute the whole process of moving emails from Hotmail to Gmail.
- Hotmail Username.
- The password of your Hotmail account.
- Incoming POP server.
- Incoming POP server port number.
- SSL is required for the incoming server.
- Outgoing server.
- Authentication required?
- TLS/SSL required?
Once you have gathered the above information, go to your Gmail account and perform the following steps to Enable POP access.
Enable POP Access in Gmail
- Sign In to your Gmail Account and click on the Gear icon.
- Now, select the See All Settings option.
- Go to the Forwarding POP/IMAP section and check Enable POP for All Mail option.
- Then, scroll down and click on the Save Changes to enable POP access.
Now, execute the following steps to move emails from Hotmail to Gmail using POP3 server settings.
Add Hotmail Account to Gmail Using POP3
After enabling the POP access, you need to click on the gear icon again and select the See All Settings option. Then perform the following steps to complete the process of adding a Hotmail account to Gmail.
- Click on the Accounts and Import option from the Settings panel.
- Scroll down and select the Add an email account option.
- Then, enter the email address of your Hotmail account.
- Check on the option to Import emails from my other account (POP3) and click on the Next button.
- Here, enter the third-party app password, POP server, and select the valid Port Number.
- Ensure that you select the option to Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server and Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail. The latter option is valid in case your Hotmail account is using a secure connection.
- In the end, click on the Add Account option to add Hotmail account to Gmail for receiving the Hotmail email in your Google account.
How to Send Emails Through hotmail.com SMTP Servers in Gmail?
You can also send emails from Gmail using your Hotmail username. For this, check on the Yes option and click on the Next Button.
- Now, provide the Name and proceed to the next step.
- In this wizard, you need to enter the Hotmail SMTP server and port number.
- Then, check on the secured connection using TLS or SSL, depending on your Hotmail encryption protocol.
- Tap on the Add Account option to move further.
- In the end, click on the link in the confirmation mail or verify the confirmation code to allow sending mail from your Gmail account.
However, this manual method also consists of some limitations that arise from the need to opt for a more reliable approach to export Hotmail emails to Gmail.
Limitations of The DIY Approach
- It is a lengthy process that consumes your time and effort. Sometimes it may take up to 2 days to successfully import your Hotmail data.
- This process doesn’t allow you to select the particular emails that you want to move from Hotmail to Gmail. Additionally, you need some technical knowledge to find the correct details of the POP and SMTP servers, along with the port numbers.
Direct Approach to Add Hotmail Account to Gmail
The direct approach is more secure and reliable to move emails from Hotmail to Gmail. It comprises the best Hotmail Backup Software, which allows you to export emails from your Hotmail accounts to Gmail within a few minutes. It is an amazing software that offers a simple and interactive user interface to backup and migrates Hotmail emails.
Moreover, it has some astonishing inbuilt features that optimize the whole process. You can select the specific file folder within a particular date range for migration. This software is superiorly designed and developed with the latest algorithms that allow you to migrate Hotmail to Office 365, Thunderbird, AOL, iCloud, and other popular IMAP-supported email clients. Also, the experts have certified it as one of the safe and effective utilities for the backup and migration of Hotmail emails.
We hope this article helped you to add Hotmail account to Gmail. You can perform this task either using the DIY approach, or you can opt for authentic Hotmail Backup Software. This software is a quick and reliable solution to export Hotmail emails to Gmail. It consists of a self-explanatory user interface, which allows you to import Hotmail emails to Gmail without any kind of technical knowledge. It is a fast and reliable solution to perform this task by ensuring high data integrity.