No matter which approaches you are going to opt for, it won’t get successful until you follow the exact procedure. That’s why we have compiled this article to deliver the best ways to migrate IMAP to Office 365 without affecting the data integrity. So, without further delay, let’s dive into the procedure to execute the IMAP migration in Microsoft 365 admin center.
Pre-Requisites to Migrate IMAP to Office 365
Most corporates picked up the pace and migrated to Microsoft Office 365. It is one of the prominent cloud-based platforms that offers numerous functionalities to its users. As a part of the process, you can also migrate the content of user mailboxes of IMAP-supported email clients to Office 365 using the Exchange admin center.
However, it requires the following pre-requisites that you need to perform.
- First, create your users in Microsoft 365 prior to the migration of their IMAP mailboxes from the source environment.
- If you want to use the same email domain as your IMAP email environment, you need to add the source domain as an accepted domain before creating users in Microsoft 365.
Note: “This highly advanced IMAP Mail Backup Tool offers a fast and reliable solution to backup IMAP emails locally in multiple file formats. Also, it facilitates you to migrate IMAP to Office 365, Thunderbird, iCloud, Zoho Mail, and other popular email clients.”
Let’s move on to the detailed procedure to migrate IMAP to Office 365 using the Exchange admin center.
Create the List of User Mailboxes for IMAP Migration in Microsoft 365
We assume you have the password of each user’s mailbox that you need to migrate. However, there are some limitations that you need to consider before creating the list of user mailboxes.
- There is a limitation of including up to 50,000 mailboxes (one row for each user) in the migration file.
- The maximum size of these mailboxes is restricted to 10MB.
Now, open the IMAP email client to find the list of mailboxes you want to migrate and keep the Window open. After that, perform the following steps to create the CSV files for IMAP migration batches.
- Open the Microsoft Admin Center and click on the Users to select the Active Users option.
- In this Wizard, you will see the Display Name and the Username of the active users.
- Now, start Excel and create the Migration file which contains, the Email Address in cell A1, User Name in cell B1, and Password in cell C1.
- After that enter the details as shown under the Active Users in Microsoft 365 admin center.
“Using this IMAP to Office 365 migration process, you can also migrate Google Workspace email to Office 365 admin center along with all the users.”
- Finally, save the data as a CSV file on your system.
Migrate IMAP to Office 365 Using New EAC
To migrate email from IMAP to Office 365, first, create a connection between Microsoft 365 and the source email system. It means creating the migration endpoint with the migration batch to import IMAP email to Office 365.
- Go to the New Exchange Admin Center and click on the Migration option from the left panel.
- Now, select the Add migration batch option.
- A new wizard will open. Provide a unique name to the migration batch and select the Migration to Exchange Online from the dropdown of Select the mailbox migration path. Click Next to proceed.
- Here, choose the IMAP Migration in the Select the migration type dropdown. Then tap on the Next button.
- This wizard shows all the Prerequisites for IMAP Migration. Check whether you completed all the prerequisites then select the Next option.
- Opt for the Create a new migration endpoint option and click on the Next to proceed.
- Specify the Migration endpoint name and leave the other two boxes with their default values. Then move to the next section.
- Now, the IMAP Migration Configuration page opens. Type the IMAP server name of the source email server and define the Port Name. Apart from this leave the rest as the default settings. Then, click on the Next button.
- Verify the Endpoint Setup Status in the Check endpoint setup status page. After that proceed to the next step.
- From the Add user mailboxes page, click on the Browse button to add the CSV file containing the list of user mailboxes.
- In the Select Configuration Settings wizard, you can filter the migration process according to your preferences. Now, hit the Next button to proceed further.
- Here, you can Schedule the Batch migration by defining the Start and End schedule for the migration batch. In the end, click on the Save button to finish the process.
After completion of the whole process, you can verify if the IMAP to Office 365 migration task worked or not. For this, open the New Exchange Admin Center and click on Migration. Select the Migration Batch and then opt for the View Details option. This whole process is quite complex and requires proficient technical knowledge. Thus, it is not suitable for non-technical users. In such a scenario, you can go with the more direct approach that consists of an IMAP Mail Backup Tool to migrate IMAP mailboxes to Office 365 admin center.
Direct Approach for IMAP Migration to Office 365
This approach comprises a secure and reliable IMAP Mail Backup Tool. It is one of the simple solutions that offers a fast and flexible IMAP migration in Microsoft 365. Also, you will get a cost-effective migration solution for large and small IMAP migrations. You can easily use this advanced application to migrate IMAP to Office 365 admin center.
This IMAP Mail Backup Tool is easy to use and offers multiple functionalities such as migrate email from cPanel to Office 365, backup IMAP emails locally, etc. Here, we provide the detailed procedure to migrate emails from IMAP to Office 365 admin center.
Detailed Step by Step Procedure to Import IMAP Email to Office 365
- Install and run the IMAP Mail Backup Tool as an administrator.
- Enter the Username, Password, IMAP Hostname, and Port No. of your IMAP Account. Now, click on the Sign In button.
- Here, it will display a tree structure of your mailbox items. You can select the folders you want to migrate and tap on the Next button.
- In this wizard, you need to select Office 365 from the dropdown menu of the Save/Backup/Migrate As option.
- Now, enter the login credentials of your Office 365 admin account and tap on the sign-in option.
- A new panel will open that offers advanced features to optimize the migration process.
- Here, provide the Custom Folder Name and click on the Convert button to migrate IMAP to Office 365.
- In the end, you can download the report of this entire IMAP to Office 365 Migration task.
Microsoft Office 365 is a robust cloud-based email service popular among users due to its many benefits. In this article, we have tried our best to provide a detailed and comprehensive guide that allows you to migrate IMAP to Office 365. However, it is necessary to follow all the instructions. Otherwise, you may lose the data, or the account may be blocked if you don’t follow the instructions properly. We hope this article has helped to understand the different ways to perform IMAP migration in Microsoft 365.