Gmail is widely known as one of the most secure, advanced, and easy-to-use email services. However, due to some technical glitches, sometimes you may encounter Gmail is not receiving emails problem. It is necessary to understand the key factors that originate this issue. Through this informative blog, you will understand the main reasons and how to fix mail not received in Gmail issue.
Before getting started with the fixes, let’s understand the root causes of being unable to receive emails in Gmail.
Main Reasons Behind Gmail Is Not Receiving Emails
In general, the error of Gmail not receiving emails is triggered due to a backend problem. But there are several other reasons that might cause mail not received in Gmail. In this section, we are elaborating on 5 main reasons that help you to understand why you have encountered this problem.
1. Check for Server Delay
Gmail is one of the most advanced and secure free webmail services. However, there are some instances when the Gmail server went down for maintenance. Even though it’s a rare scenario still, you can’t exclude this possibility. You can directly visit Google Workspace Status Dashboard to see whether Gmail is currently down or not.
2. Internet Connectivity Issue
An Internet connection is the first requirement to access your Gmail account. But if you have a weak or spotty internet connection, there is a high chance of mail not being received in Gmail. You can take a speed test to analyze if your internet connection is slow. Also, You can restart the router manually and verify the speed on another device.
3. Messages Filtered as Spam
Several instances occur when Gmail filters messages from a particular sender into different folders. Most of the time, the email landed in the spam folder. So, if you think that your Gmail is Not Receiving Emails, then there is a possibility that Gmail marked it as spam. You can open your Spam folder and ensure whether the mail is in there or not.
4. Running Out of Storage Space
This problem can also arise if your Gmail is running out of space. We know that Google only provides 15 GB of free storage space with every Gmail account. Sometimes, the images and videos in your drive utilize the maximum storage space, which ultimately causes Gmail storage full not receiving emails problem. In such a scenario, you can clear up some space by deleting or exporting media from your Google drive.
5. Misconfigured settings
Email filters and forwarding settings also lead to why users are unable to receive emails in Gmail. It is recommended that we should apply these filters carefully. Fortunately, you can fix this issue by simply reverting Gmail to its default settings.
These are the 5 main reasons that cause Gmail not receiving emails issue. Due to these shortcomings, users want to backup Gmail emails to hard drive to secure their email conversations. Now it’s time to understand the top techniques to fix the mail not received in Gmail problem.
Top 5 Techniques to Fix Gmail is Not Receiving Emails
Several Gmail users on the Google community raised the query of my Gmail is not receiving emails. After understanding the root cause of this issue, here we came up with the top 5 methods that help to fix unable to receive emails in Gmail.
1. Check Gmail’s server status
If this problem is caused due to Gmail’s Server status, you can perform the following steps to check its status.
- Open the Downdetector website on your browser.
- Now, type Gmail in the search box and hit enter.
- Check the Gmail Outages report in the past 24 hours.
- If there is an outage, then wait till Google fixes the problem.
2. Checking the Gmail Storage
We know that Google only provides 15GB of free storage. To optimize it effectively, you should regularly check the Gmail storage quota of your account. Otherwise, such type of issues may arise frequently. You can execute the following steps to analyze your storage space.
- Sign in to your Google account and click on the Drive from the Google apps option.
- This wizard allows you to evaluate the free space available from your 15 GB storage quota.
(If you have reached the 15 GB storage quota, you can delete unwanted media files.)
But if you don’t want to delete any file or media, it is recommended to back up your Gmail account data. In this respect, you can opt for some secure and reliable Gmail Backup Software, which allows you to backup and migrate your Gmail items, including emails, contacts, calendars, drives, etc.
3. Delete Email Filters
Sometimes random spam emails from bots and advertisers generate the need to filter the email. Unfortunately, it may also cause Gmail is not receiving emails problem. You can execute the following steps on your PC to delete the email filters.
- Go to your Gmail account and click on the Setting gear icon to select the See all Settings option.
- Navigate to the Filters and Blocked Addresses.
- Check the filters applied to all incoming mail. Clear the applied filter on the email address from which you want to receive emails.
You can verify whether the filter is removed by asking the sender to resend the email. If you are still not receiving mails in Gmail, it may be due to the antivirus or email forwarding option.
4. Turn Off Email Forwarding
Email forwarding is one of the essential options for Gmail users. It allows them to forward emails to their new email address. If this option is turned on by mistake, users are unable to receive emails in Gmail.
Perform the following steps to disable the Email Forwarding option.
- Navigate to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP from the See All Settings option.
- Check if any forwarding is applied unintentionally. If yes, then disable the forwarding option.
Save this setting and refresh your Gmail to apply changes. Check whether the problem still persists or not. If yes, then proceed with the next solution.
Sometimes, it seems easy to forward Gmail emails to other email programs such as Office 365, Yahoo mail, Hotmail, etc. However, the reliable way to migrate Gmail to Office 365 is by using the secure Gmail Backup Software.
5. Temporarily Disable Antivirus or Firewalls
If you are using your Gmail in a desktop client on Windows, it may be possible that the problem persists due to the Antivirus or Firewalls. Some antivirus programs consist of an email filtering option. This feature protects your system and opts out of the mail that it thinks has some potential threats.
You can temporarily disable your antivirus or firewalls through the Task manager.
- Open the Task Manager on your system.
- Then, navigate Startup and look for the antivirus software.
- Right-click on the antivirus and select the Disable option.
Using these 5 troubleshooting methods, you can conveniently fix Gmail is not receiving emails problem. If the problem is still there, you can contact Google Help to get support on this issue.
FAQ 1: Why am I not receiving emails from a particular sender?
- The Email ID you entered may not be correct.
- Credentials may mismatch from the exact ID.
- You may use experience case-sensitive issues.
- Maybe emails will deliver to your spam folder.
FAQ 2: How do I fix my Gmail not receiving emails?
FAQ 3: Why are my emails not showing up in Gmail?
- Your Gmail mailbox may run out of storage.
- Check your spam folder. Sometimes, you may get those not receiving emails in the spam folder.
- Sometimes, Antivirus or Firewalls intervene in receiving Gmail messages.
- Often we ignore checking Gmail storage. It may be one of the reasons for not showing Gmail messages.
FAQ 4: How do I get my emails back in my inbox Gmail?
- Navigate to the Gmail application.
- Select the All Mail folder, present on the left panel.
- From there, choose the option: From, Anytime, Has Attachment, Exclude Promotion, etc.
- Alternatively, you can also hit the Advanced Search button. It will help you to search your required emails.
If the above-stated steps are not so fruitful for you. Check another alternative.
- Steer to the Google Mail application.
- Check the folders: Primary, Promotions, Socially, Spam, or other folders individually.
- If you find your required email, then it’s good else use the above-stated technique.